There will be three direct discussion sessions and one question and answer session to the Parent’s Guide to Education Forum hosted jointly by the school districts and Education Associations from the communities of: Novi, Farmington, Livonia, Plymouth-Canton, South Lyon, Walled Lake, and Waterford.
Date/Time: Monday, May 13, 6-9 p.m.
Location: Novi Middle School Auditorium
(49000 Eleven Mile Road, Novi, Michigan 48374 – Located at the North East corner of Eleven Mile and Wixom Roads)
Seating will be on a first come first served basis. Doors open at 5:00 PM.
Introduction and Welcome
- Welcoming remarks from Superintendents Steve Matthews (Novi) and Susan Zurvalec (Farmington), EA Presidents Tom Brenner and David Workman. Topic: What is the state of Michigan’s responsibility toward educating its population? How do we measure our performance?
- Introduction of Panelists (9-12 total) – Two Minute Self-Introductions
– Governor Snyder Representative (Bill Rustem confirmed)
– Local School Administrator (TBD)
– State School Board Members (all confirmed John Austin, Michelle Fecteau, Casandra Ulbrich, Eileen Weiser)
– School of Ed (University) Representatives
– State Legislators (preferably from the House and Senate Education Committee – confirmed State Senator Phil Pavlov, State Senator Hoon-Yung Hopgood, State Representative Hugh Crawford, State Representative Ellen Cogen Lipton)
– Teacher (confirmed Novi HS Science teacher Brian Langley)
Session 1 – Student Performance/Effective Schools
Session 2 – Teacher Recruitment/ Professional Development/Evaluation
Session 3 – Public Finance of Education
Session 4 – Question and Answer with Audience
Each Panelist will be given the questions ahead of time and be asked to be prepared to answer questions in 2 of the 3 primary sessions. Each session will consist of a discussion of two-three questions where the panelists will have an opportunity to answer and then address issues brought up by other panelists. Each speaker will have a time limit on their responses (2 minutes). Moderator reserves the right to redirect panelists to directly answer the question or respond to another panelist’s remarks. Audience will have the opportunity to directly ask questions of the panelists to conclude the event.
Hosted by: Novi Community Schools, Novi Education Association, Farmington Public Schools and the Farmington Education Association.
Moderated by WXYZ Channel 7 Anchor JoAnne Purtan.
Attended by key local and state stakeholders.
Contact: Tom Brenner, 248-449-1500, email@example.com