Committee Chair: Amanda Walworth
Last year, the Livonia PTSA Council started a Summer STEM Camp for middle school students who wanted opportunities to learn more about topics in these disciplines and gain hands-on experience.
For 2017 we are planning a “Mission to Mars” theme using “The Martian” by Andy Weir as our inspiration. Our participants will blast off to Mars (physics, mathematics, and astronomy), learn how to evaluate their environment (atmosphere, weather, geology), determine how they can grow food (plant life, chemistry), build shelter (engineering), and build a Mars rover for transportation (Electronics, engineering, robotics). Each week will focus on one of these themes and integrate the indicated STEM concepts into the learning modules and activities. We will also have guest speakers and off-site tours and presentations from individuals and businesses in the community.
Through the generous donation of Livonia area businesses and the Livonia PTSA Council, this program is free. Therefore, we are limiting the number of participants in the program to 25 students. Students who wish to participate must complete the below application by Friday, May 12th, 2017. Applications will be reviewed and notification of participation will be sent by May 26th.
• The camp will be five weeks long, starting Tuesday, July 11th and concluding with an end of program celebration on Thursday, August 10th. Students will be watching “The Martian” that day, which is rated PG13.
• The camp will be three days a week, Tuesday thru Thursday from 9 am-2 pm. Students can arrive starting at 8:30 am. There will be interactive activities that students can complete prior to each day of camp starting. Students may walk home or be picked up by 2:15 pm.
• Wednesdays will typically include guest speakers and off-site tours such as the Michigan Science Center and local area businesses related to these fields. Transportation will need to be provided by parents or guardians to off-site locations if children wish to attend.
• The camp will be held in the Large Meeting room at the Livonia Career Technical Center, located at 8985 Newburgh Rd, Livonia, MI 48150.
• Participants should bring a lunch, snacks, and water as needed for each day of camp.
• If students are absent 3 times, they will be dismissed from the program.
If you have any questions, please contact Amanda Walworth at (517) 398-0969 or via email at LivoniaPTSAStem@gmail.com.
Sign up here to participate in 2017 STEM camp: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScSEAjE9lj7kVKDfcaEQAHgRpZGx9V1nmDnNRMco5eTfXTnQQ/viewform
2016 STEM Camp was a success!
LIVONIA PTSA COUNCIL STEM SUMMER CAMP
Our inaugural camp kicked off on July 11. The camp, which runs from July 11- August 5th is held at the Livonia Career and Technical Center. Applications were open to LPS students in grades 6-8 for the 2015-2016 school year.
We have 23 participants and 9 adult volunteers with backgrounds in engineering, chemical engineering, genetic counseling, Oracle programming, as well as district teachers. Livonia Warriors Robotics team members are assisting as mentors.
Week 1 Theme: May the Mass Times Acceleration Be with You – Physics and Engineering
Week 2 Theme: Forensic Files – Chemistry/Genetics
Week 3 Theme: 2b|!2b – Computer Science/Robots
Week 4 Theme: Circle of Life – Life Sciences
Thank you to our generous Camp sponsors: