PTA was founded February 17, 1897 and Founders Day is a reminder of the substantial role that PTA has played locally, regionally, and nationally in supporting parent involvement and working on behalf of all children and families. It is a time to reflect and take pride in our many accomplishments, and to renew our commitment to be a powerful voice for all children, a relevant resource for parents, and a strong advocate for public education.
- We felt that the focus of the evening has become the recognition of the students, and not our PTA volunteers. We would like to make sure that our volunteers have a prominent part in the evening.
- Some staff members have commented that their volunteer PTA parents leave feeling discouraged having seen the student portion, knowing that their students will never be selected to be on that stage due to developmental or other disabilities. They don’t see how this PTA event includes them or why they should return.
- Staff members have responded that they are sending an entire group to support an honored co-worker, because they are so proud and excited for them. This is especially true at the elementary level. We can’t adequately convey the excitement from that group.
- Some parents have commented that the students all seem to be selected on the basis of their involvement with certain (non PTA) programs.
- Many PTA officers and involved parents have commented that they know that their children will never be selected for the honor, even as they give so much to PTA, typically while their own families take a back seat to their PTA involvement.
- Many parents are delighted when notified that their child has been selected for the Founders Day honor, stating “I didn’t even know there was a PTSA Council.”
Please know that we are trying to grow and to be more relevant. It’s a big job, and we’re making it bigger daily. We do hope that this prompts more ideas, suggestions or questions. We do value your partnership, collaboration and understanding.
Livonia PTSA Council President
In a continuing effort to get more dads involved in PTA, the Livonia PTSA Council has partnered with the Livonia Kiwanis to once again host a PTA Dads Chili Cook Off! As a proud dad, involved in the PTA’s of Hoover, Jackson Center, and as a member of the PTSA Council Executive Board, I know how important it is to be engaged at my son’s school. Along with my committee members, I have worked tirelessly to bring a great opportunity for your schools to win $500. Spend a few hours connecting with the other dads and showing off your culinary skills to the community with the side benefit of supporting your school’s art program and having fun along the way.
The 2nd Annual PTA Dads Chili Cook Off will be held on Saturday, January 16th from 11:00am – 2:00pm, at Franklin High School. All entrants into the contest must be:
1. Current PTA members (they can literally join at the time of registration if they aren’t already)
2. Male (Dads, grandpas, uncles, involved neighbors, and students are welcome)
I’ve attached an official application in the hopes that you know some Dads (or grandpas, uncles, etc.) that might want to join in the fun. Most importantly, the winning Dad gets a prize package that includes a $500 Art Program Grant to the school he is representing. I’m probably not going out on a limb when I say that your art program could use $500.
The best part… there’s no limit to the number of entrants per school. Any male PTA member with $10 can compete.
We’re hoping this will be yet another tool from Council to help build membership, diversify your PTA, and get together with other PTA members and officers. Last year we had 31 chili entrants and over 100 visitors. We would love to double that number all around. So let’s all pull together and make this a strong showing for the entire district.
Thank you all,
Robb Drzewicki, Kellie Dummer, Cheryl Shakelford
Livonia PTSA Council Chili Cook-Off Committee
Thursday October 15 from 4:00 – 9:00 pm at the Northville Noodles & Company location (Six Mile and Haggerty Roads.)
Bring the attached flyer and Noodles & Company will generously donate 25% of sales to our Webster PTA friends. Bring a friend, share the flyer, bring your appetite!
Each school year, the Livonia PTSA Council provides an Officer’s Directory to each of our Units. If you are a current PTA officer, please take a moment to fill out the form with your contact information. This Directory will be provided to Livonia PTA Officers. Thank you!